Wednesday, December 10, 2008

the reports of Sara's last visit

some days I think we all get tired of hearing the negative in life, today I got the report from Sara seeing the Glenrose a couple months back, I truly thought it went well, I truly thought she was soooooooooooooooo different from the boys and doing so well, I guess she is but not as well as what I think would be well.

Gross Motor skills are within a below average range for her age.
Visual reception skills fall within an average range for her age.
Fine motor skills are within a below average range for her age.
language comprehension falls within a below average for her age.
expressive language skills are within the very low range for her age.
communication skills fall within a moderately low range for her age.
daily living skills fall within a moderately low range for her age.
socialization skills fall with a moderately low range for her age.
motor skill fall with a moderately low range for her age.

Summary:
Sara is a quiet, mild-mannered girl who was most recently assessed at 25 months of age as part of the infant sibling study at the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital. During this assessment, Sara demonstrated some shared enjoyment with the examiners, and engaged in some spontaneous pretend play. developmentally, in areas of gross motor, fine motor and receptive language, Sara is preforming within a below average age range while her visual reception skills are similar to other toddlers of the same age. Sara's expressive language skill however, fall within a very low range for her age. Christine acknowledged that she does not feel Sara's language development has been progressing steadily and expressed an interest in specking Wendy Mitchell, a speech-language pathologist from the autism research center about possible speech and language services for Sara could qualify for. In general, Sara's performance is consistent with the parental reports given about her functioning at home and within the community. We look forward to continuing to monitor Sara's progress in these areas and are interested in having the opportunity to see her again at 30 months of age.

at this point I am totally not sure how to feel, I shed a few tears but I am sure there is more to come as really in my mind I thought she was doing well except for speech so this a bit of blow, not sure why I like to get news like this so close to Christmas, 3 years in row gets tough!

2 comments:

The Nielsen Famiy said...

Ok, I have to comment (feel free to erase). We all know that we do not know what your day to day world is (how was that for a mouth full?). But, you know full well that children learn largely, from the world around them. Sara's world includes 2 brothers she adores (but who do not currently possess large vocabularies and whatnot). Don't be discouraged, many of the things she fall in the "below average" are categories which are largely effected by the challenges her brothers face.

Lynn said...

Oh, I am so glad that someone already commented. I was TOTALLY thinking the same thing. HAng in there. I had the overwhelming feeling that Sara may be just a LITTLE behind in speech because she is just mirroring what she hears.

I am sure your days are tough, and so I am not trying to diminish what you are feeling at all Christine. Just know that I think that only YOU know the COMPLETE picture here and know that many are here in support. Hugs!