Thursday, July 17, 2008

Another school to go visit

We are off to visit a new school on Wed 23rd. I am excited, but at the same point not to sure what to think right now as it is a chartered school, i would be pulling them from the public world, with "normal" kids, now I know I do not lock my kids up from the rest of the world and one day I know they have to learn how to deal with the "real world" but is that today?
The nice part of this school is they do both compoments that the boys are needing the school part and the in home program, which right now is a HUGE thing. So wish me luck for Wed, I trully need a thumb on the head right now because I thought I had my answer for Joshua but now I am not sure again, I am not even sure why all the sundden I felt like I needed to call them so I am sure we will find out soon.

Anyways this was there about me on there main page:

New Heights Learning Services is a preschool, school and home program for chidren with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other developmental disorders.

Our program is specially designed to help children aged 2-18 that Alberta Education describes as “a child … whose physical, medical or neurological disability is so severe that s/he requires extensive personal assistance and modifications to the learning environment in order to benefit from schooling.” This includes children with autism and related disorders, including Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). New Heights started operation in the fall of 1999.

What We Do:
Our school is a place where children can feel happy and secure while learning and growing. We focus on increasing each student's:
* sense of him/herself as a learner* independence and self-regulation* interest, respect and responsiveness to others* communication and social skills* fine, gross and sensory-motor skills* play skills* creative and critical thinking skills

We consider our program to be an "apprenticeship" for each child. With parental involvement and the support of our knowledgeable and skilled staff, your child will learn new skills and strategies to help him or her cope and learn in settings at home, at school and in the community. Our goal is to help your child learn independently and manage effectively in day-to-day situations.

No comments: